Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Makeup Starter Kit: What do the Beginners Need?

Hey everyone! Is it just me, or when you walk into a makeup store it's completely overwelming. All the different brands, products, and new releases can be confusing, and you'll end up buying the cool things rather than the things you actually need and will get use out of. SO here's what I think beginners need.

1. Concealer. You might not have acne, but almost everyone has under eye circles. I find that cream concealers are good for covering under eye circles, and more liquid-y ones are better for acne and redness. I recommend the Covergirl Smoothstick as a nice cream concealer. It comes in a stick, like a lipstick, and is easy to apply. I also have had mine for months and it's not even close to being done yet! I only recently tried a liquid concealer, like the consistency of foundation. I tried the Maybelline Fit Me concealer, the only problem is that it's not a perfect match for my skin. I think I get more coverage from concealer by blending it with a brush rather than my fingers so it's not all soaked into your hands and not your face.

2. Powder (Normal to oily skin mostly)
You can get loose powder, pressed powder, or even mineral powder. I've only tried pressed powder, because the first one I tried, I loved! I use the Rimmel London Stay Matte powder. It's very inexpensive and lasts a long time! It keeps my face from getting too oily. The only thing is that powder is what will make you look cakey, so keep it to a minimum to avoid that!

3. Mascara
You can look completely put together just by using mascara. I'm not going to go into to much detail about it, because I have a post called Mascara 101 where I reviewed 5 different mascaras. My favorite is the Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara because it's not clumpy, and very lengthening.

4. Eyeliner
You can get any type of eyeliner, pencil, liquid, gel, even use eyeshadow. I usually use eyeshadow because it's less noticeable. Liquid and gel eyeliners are good for really defining your eyes and giving a whole new look to your eyes. Pencil and eyeshadow eyeliner is good for looking natural but still giving definition to your eyes. You can even use colored liner to subtly add a fun pop of color without overdoing it.

5. Lip color
You could give your lips color using anything from tinted lip balm, to lipstick, to lip stain. My favorites are Revlon Lip Butters and Clinique Chubby Sticks. They both give a subtle color that's not in your face and are long lasting. Lipstick is great for really adding a pop of wowwww color and lip stain is good for long nights, when you don't want to reapply. I love lip stains because they're super easy to apply.

This is just what I think is necessary. Foundation is a must have for some people, but not for me. Blush, bronzer, highlighter, lip liner and eyeshadow are all things you might want to consider, but aren't completely necessary.

What are your must haves?
xoxo, Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment